I just wanted to share a few quick thoughts on last night’s Golden Globes ceremony.
– Ricky Gervais. Apparently people are upset with some of his comments? I didn’t find any of his jokes offensive, and for the most part they were funny, and quite accurate. How can you expect him not to take jabs at celebrities when the whole show is one big excuse for celebs to promote themselves? This is just my opinion, but I doubt many of the people he made fun of were offended so much as pleased to get attention. People like Tim Allen haven’t generated this much discussion in about a decade (oh, the irony!)
– “It’s Ashton Kutcher’s dad…Bruce Willis!”
– Chris Colfer wins! (A very deserved win, in my opinion. And I loved his genuinely shocked reaction, and his simultaneously funny and touching speech – “I think I dropped my heart somewhere between Natalie Portman and Julianne Moore!”)
– Jim Parsons wins! (Plus Kaley Cuoco’s reaction)
– Colin Firth winning, and his lovely acceptance speech (plus his shout out to Guy Pearce!)
– Cuts to celebrities at random moments (Kyra Sedwick flaked out on Kevin Bacons’ shoulder, Mark Wahlberg and his red wine, etc.)
– Even though I haven’t seen their movies/shows, it was nice to see Steve Buscemi, Paul Giamati, Katey Segal, and Laura Linney get some recognition.
– Robert Downey Jr.’s presentation. It was risky, and worked for the most part. I’m assuming he wrote it/had some hand in it, and inventive bits like that make the show much more entertaining. (And anyone who thinks that he was seriously complaining about the show’s mean-spirited tone obviously doesn’t know much about RDJ)
– Andrew Garfield and Joseph Gordon-Levitt getting to present for their respective films (JGL was a pro, and Garfield’s insane nervousness was endearing)
– Best dressed ladies: Angelina Jolie, Mila Kunis, Claire Danes, Leighton Meester, Hailee Steinfeld
– Michael Douglas: “There has to be an easier way to get a standing ovation”
– Jesse Eisenberg’s unexpected success at wearing a suit (though he’s always been cute)
– Garrett Hedlund’s expected success at wearing a suit
– Why does Emma Stone look like that?
– J-Lo and Alec Baldwin’s awkward presentation
– Lea Michele becoming increasingly more obnoxious by the second.
– Justin Bieber’s presence
– The general predictability of the film categories. I’m a fan of a lot of the people that won, but it would’ve been nice to see a surprise winner somewhere along the line (the TV categories were much more inspired, to me)